As well as these original texts (in English Translation), are several accompanying great works of scholarship which are an essential companion to the texts – assisting the reader in their understanding of Viking, Norse and Icelandic culture and beliefs – from their complex creation myths, to their huge array of Pagan Gods to rival the pantheons of Ancient Greece or Rome.
Anyone with an interest in the rich and fascinating history of the Vikings should invest in this excellent anthology, that compiles huge numbers of work into one incredible resource.
The anthology has a full table of contents that responds to every chapter within the numerous different works, and has been carefully edited and formatted to remove any errors from the text.
Included in this Anthology are the following works:
– Myths of the Norsemen
– The Elder Eddas of Saemund Sigfusson
– The Younger Eddas of Snorri Sturleson (with Glossary)
– The Story of the Volsungs and the Niblungs
– The Story of Sigurd the Volsung and the Fall of the Niblungs
– The life and Death of Cormac the Skald
– The Saga of Grettir the Strong
– Laxdaela Saga
– The Saga of Burnt Njal
– The Saga of Olaf Tryggvason
– The Saga of Harald the Tyrant
– The Story of Frithiof the Bold
– The Story of Gunnlaug the Worm and Raven the Skald
– Eirik the Red’s Saga
Histories and Chronicles
– Saxo Grammaticus
– Heimskringla, or the Chronicle of the Kings of Norway